(Why we collect your personal data and what we do with it)
ICO REGISTRATION NUMBER: A8284374
Clinic patient privacy statement
North Down Chiropractic Clinic is a data controller and is aware of its obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The Clinic is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. We want you to be absolutely confident that we are treating your personal data responsibly, and that we are doing everything we can to make sure that the only people who can access that data have a genuine need to do so. This privacy notice summarises how we collect and use personal data about you during and after your time as a patient of this clinic. It applies to current and former patients.
- We need to collect personal information about you and your health, in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can, of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that we would not be able to provide treatment.
- We have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting this information, because without it we couldn’t do our job effectively and safely.
- We also think that it is important that we can contact you in order to confirm your appointments with us or to update you on matters related to your medical care. This again constitutes “Legitimate Interest”
- We have a legal obligation to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25, if this is longer), but after this period you can ask us to delete your records if you wish.
- Your paper file is stored in locked filing cabinets, the keys are locked in a safe, and the offices are always locked and alarmed outside working hours. Paper records are never removed from the Clinic premises.
- Your electronic file is stored “in the cloud” using encrypted practice management software. We have a contract with this provider which includes a written declaration that they are fully compliant with the General Data Protection Regulations. Access to this data is password protected. Treatment notes and medical histories are not recorded on your electronic file.
- SMS appointment reminders are set up for each patient, but patients can opt out of this service if they wish. We do not use SMS or email marketing communications.
- Occasionally we will need to contact you in writing or provide a medical or solicitor report on your behalf. Such letters are saved securely on to our office computers, which are password protected and the offices are always locked and alarmed out of working hours.
- We will never share your data with anyone who does not need access, without your written consent. Only the following people/agencies will have routine access to your data:
Your practitioner(s) in order that they can provide you with treatment. Self-employed Associates and Therapists have a signed contract with the Clinic which includes obligation to maintain confidentiality of information relating to clients.
Our clinic manager and reception staff who have signed contracts of employment including strict clauses re data confidentiality.
The practice management system that stores and processes our electronic records
- You have the right to see what personal data of yours we hold, and you can also ask us to correct any factual errors.
- Provided the legal minimum period has elapsed, you can also ask us to erase your records.
- Should your personal data that we control be lost, stolen or otherwise breached, where this constitutes a high risk to your rights and freedoms, we will contact you to explain to you the nature of the breach and the steps we are taking to deal with it.
Making a complaint
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) via their website: www.ico.org.uk Tel: 028 90278757
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or how we handle your information, please contact Luke Neal, North Down Chiropractic Clinic, 43 Gray’s Hill, Bangor, BT20 3BB. Telephone number 028 91 859990. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE SPEAK WITH OUR RECEPTIONIST IF YOU DO NOT CONSENT TO RECEIVING SMS OR EMAIL APPOINTMENT REMINDERS / IMPORTANT CLINIC UPDATES. WE WILL MAKE SURE YOUR RECORD IS UPDATED TO REFLECT YOUR CONSENT AND PLEASE BE AWARE THAT YOU CAN OPT OUT OF THIS SERVICE AT ANY TIME. WE WILL NOT SEND YOU MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS.